Winter Weather Riding Tips
If you plan to take METRO Transit buses during snowy or icy weather, here's what you need to know:
Where to get service information
Conditions can change quickly. Before you leave, get the latest updates on snow routes, delays and cancellations:
- Check the detours link on our homepage
- Call 235-RIDE (7433)
- Check local TV and radio stations
Riding the bus: What to expect
Buses will follow their normal routes as long as the streets are safe for travel.
Detours and cancellations
If there is a significant accumulation of snow, ice or freezing rain, some buses will be put on detour and others may be canceled. We'll make announcements on gometro.org and 235-RIDE.
It is possible that buses won't be able to serve parts of a route, if they are hilly, in a residential area or become too dangerous to drive on.
Road conditions affect all traffic, so buses may experience significant delays. They won't be on schedule, but buses should still arrive at regular intervals. To be safe, please dress warmly.
Riding the bus: What you can do
- To be safe, please dress warmly.
- If there is no traffic going by your bus stop, walk to a stop on a busy street.
- If your bus stop is in the middle of a hill, walk to the bottom where the operator can safely stop.
- Stand back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop. Buses can slide sideways in slippery conditions.
- Also, keep in mind your bus may not pull all the way over to the curb, to avoid getting stuck.